Fashion/art and condoms are not so unlikely partners as you would think at first. Condoms are also some kind of apparel and the packaging may well be potraying any kind of art or design. One such thing that comes to mind immediately are the Australia based Vixen Condoms or Jack Mackenroth’s condom dress.
Proper Attire, a brand that donates proceeds to Planned Parenthood (and was set up by Planned Parenthood), is a brand that builds fashion/art right into its foundation. All packagings are supposed to be a work of art or fashion.
So the current collection of Proper Attire is the Keith Haring Condom. Keith Haring’s style can be attributed to Pop Art or Graffiti Art and he set up the Keith Haring Foundation shortly before his death (of Aids) in 1990.
When he established the Keith Haring Foundation in 1989, its mandate being to provide funding and imagery to AIDS organizations and children’s programs, and to expand the audience for Haring’s work through exhibitions, publications and the licensing of his images. Haring enlisted his imagery during the last years of his life to speak about his own illness and generate activism and awareness about AIDS.
So the Keith Haring Condom is just a logical step in the life and work of the Keith Haring Foundation that was made available on the 1st of December (which is the second edition by Keith).
Proper Attire Fashion Condom Collections
- PROPER ATTIRE by Yigal Azrouël Sheer (ultra thin)
- PROPER ATTIRE by Alexander Wang Assorted (extra large, ultra thin and studded)
- Brian Reyes for PROPER ATTIRE Sheer (ultra thin)
- Keith Haring for PROPER ATTIRE Sheer (ultra thin)
- Opening Ceremony for PROPER ATTIRE (regular)
- Jeremy Scott for PROPER ATTIRE Sheer (ultra thin)
- Jeremy Scott for PROPER ATTIRE Dots (studded)
- Jeremy Scott for PROPER ATTIRE Ribbed (ribbed)
- Charlotte Ronson for Proper Attire Basic (regular)
- Charlotte Ronson for Proper Attire Color (colored) and Charlotte Ronson for Proper Attire Sheer (ultra thin)
More about Keith Haring
Haring (1958–90) was a world-renowned artist of the 1980s who gained notoriety for drawing with white chalk on the black paper used to cover vacant advertising panels in the New York City subways. Haring began showing in galleries and museums all over the world and working with various public projects, making him famous for his unmistakable street and pop art, as well as his social activism.